19/12/2017 0 Comments
Common Patient Questions and Concerns in Calgary!
If you have any questions about an eye exam, contact lenses, or glasses, it’s important to consult an expert. At Crowfoot Vision Centre, we’ve been serving the Calgary community since 1992. Here are a few of the most common questions we’ve heard over the years about eye care:
- Is looking at a computer or television screen for too long bad for my eyes?
- There’s nothing inherently more harmful about looking at a computer screen than anything else. It’s just light, after all. That being said, there is a chance that staring at the same object for extended periods of time, as we do when binge-watching a television show or working on a project for a long time will harm your vision. If you’re required to look at a screen for extended periods of time, be sure to take regular breaks so you don’t strain yourself too much.
- Why does eyesight get worse?
- Like the rest of your body, your eyes are always changing to some degree and there are many different reasons that our eyesight changes over time. Our vision works when the light from the outside passes through the lens in our eye. This lens, in turn, expands and contracts to change focus. As we grow up, our eye as a whole and each of its parts is also changing shape, affecting how light passes through it and how well or poorly we are able to focus. Similarly, after the age of forty or so, our ability to focus the lens in our eye tends to lose its elasticity and deteriorate. It’s an unfortunate part of getting older but it’s entirely natural and can be corrected with the right glasses from your local Calgary optometry centre.
- How bad for my sight is it to get makeup in my eyes?
- Really, it depends on the makeup and what ingredients are in it. Our eyes have ways of flushing themselves out if any foreign matter gets stuck in them, so getting something stuck in your eye every once in a while won’t do any lasting damage. If, however, there are dangerous chemicals in your makeup, it can be a lot more serious. Similarly, things like glitter are sometimes added to makeup. While they may make for a great look, glitter can be disastrous for your eyes. It’s best to avoid it altogether to be on the safe side.
- Where can I get an eye exam in Calgary?
- At Crowfoot Vision Centre, it’s our mission to raise awareness about eye health and the best practices for protecting your vision throughout your life. If you’re in need of an eye exam, new glasses, or contact lenses in the Calgary area, give us a call today to set up an appointment or ask any questions to our friendly staff.