06/07/2017 0 Comments
How Often Should You Book an Eye Exam?
When to Visit Calgary Eye Doctors
Determining how often you need an eye exam in Calgary depends on your age and family history, but the rule of thumb to decide on the ideal frequency involves consideration of these factors:
- Children 5 Years and Younger - Pediatricians will keep an eye on your child’s vision until about age three. After that, your child needs to receive a comprehensive eye exam between ages three and five.
- School Age Children - Your child’s vision should be examined before they start the first grade. If your child does not have any vision issues, then they only need eye exams every two years.
- Adults - Adults should have their vision checked every five to 10 years if they are in their 20s and 30s and have no vision issues or history of vision problems. Between the ages of 40 and 65, you should increase your eye exams to every two to four years. After age 65, eyes should be checked every other year.
What Happens at an Eye Exam?
When you visit an eye doctor, you will give them a detailed family history and medical history; including items that are not directly related to your vision. Certain conditions can increase the likelihood of vision issues in the future, such as diabetes and hormonal imbalances. Therefore, your eye doctor will want to know about any diagnosed conditions you may have.
During the procedure you can expect:
- To take a visual acuity test. This measures how clearly you can see and determines if you need prescription glasses.
- An eye pressure test, which will enlarge your pupils using special eye drops.
- An overall health exam of the eye. The eye doctor may use several types of lights to evaluate the front and inside of your eyes.
At the end of the eye exam, your doctor will go over the results and can recommend when you will need to be rechecked. If you need glasses, you can often fill your eyeglass prescription right there in their office.
Due for an eye exam? Visit Crowfoot Vision Centre today for a comprehensive check-up. If you need prescription glasses, we have a variety of frame styles and lenses to choose from in our offices. Schedule your appointment today. Give us a call at 403-241-3000 or contact us online with your questions.