06/07/2017 0 Comments
Understanding Vision Issues in Your Child
Know What to Look For
There will be red flags that you can look out for that may indicate your child has a vision problem, including:
- They need to have books or colouring pages close when using them.
- Your child squints or blinks often when trying to look at something.
- They tilt their head to see better, even when looking at a picture or the TV.
- They rub their eyes frequently even though they are not tired.
- They will close one eye in order to see better.
- Your child avoids close activities, such as colouring, playing board games or doing homework.
- Your child avoids distant-vision activities, such as watching planes, playing catch or reading the blackboard in school.
- Your child has recurrent headaches at the end of the day or complains of tired eyes.
- Your child complains of double vision.
- They seem clumsy or have difficulty maintaining balance.
- They have a droopy eyelid that never opens fully.
- Their eyes are always watery.
- Your child seems sensitive to light.
Having Your Child’s Eye Exam in NW Calgary
Children’s vision tests are designed to ensure your child can see properly before school. Your child should undergo routine eye exams starting at six months, then another at age three, then again at the start of school. From there on, if your child’s vision is fine, have them complete an exam every two years until they are 18.
Your child may have certain risk factors that increase the likelihood of a vision problem developing in the future, including:
- Premature birth weight
- Developmental delays
- Infection during pregnancy
- Family history of eye disease
- Physical illness or disease
If your child is at high-risk, they may need more frequent examinations throughout childhood, such as annual exams instead of bi-annual checkups.
If you are concerned about your child’s vision, contact Crowfoot Vision Centre in Northwest Calgary to schedule an eye exam. Call us at 403-241-3000 to book an appointment or contact us online to inquire about vision problems in children.