06/07/2017 0 Comments
What to Expect When Visiting an Eye Doctor
If you have a family history of eye problems, you are at greater risk and should see your Calgary eye doctor more frequently. Children should have their vision checked at six months, three years and then again before they start the first grade. Thereafter, an annual checkup is recommended until adulthood. Adults are recommended to see an eye doctor at least once every two years and once a year after the age of 60.
Preparing for the Eye Exam Appointment
There are a few things you will need for your appointment and these will help ensure a more thorough examination. These items include:
- Any prescription eyeglasses or contacts
- A list of allergies or health conditions
- Medications and supplements you are taking, as some may impact vision or eye treatments
- Insurance information
What to Expect During Your Appointment
You will enter the examination room and speak with the eye doctor to discuss your current vision and problems, if any. The type of examination you will need depends on your age and overall eye history. Some things you can expect to experience during the examination include:
- History Examination - The eye doctor will discuss your medical history, family history of eye diseases and your general health.
- Vision Test - The doctor will then administer a vision test to check your near and distance vision. You may read charts of letters and the physician may test your ability to see in 3D as well as colour.
- Tonometry - This involves placing pressure on the eye with a puff of air to test for signs of glaucoma.
- Exam - The eye doctor then examines different parts of your eye. To do this, they may need to dilate your pupils so that they are wider and your eye is easier to see. If you do need dilation, your eyes will be sensitive to light, so you will need to wear sunglasses and you may need a ride home.
If this is your first visit, expect one to two hours for the full examination. If you have been to the same eye doctor before and you are there for a follow-up or annual check, your appointment most likely will take less than an hour.
Eye examinations are critical for your overall vision. Crowfoot Vision Centre’s eye doctors in Calgary offer comprehensive eye exams for children and adults.
We are currently accepting new patients, so please call us at 403-241-3000 to schedule an eye exam or contact us online with your questions.