12/09/2019 0 Comments
The Warning Signs of Glaucoma
Glaucoma is the leading cause of vision loss and blindness for people over the age of 60 in North America but early detection is possible. The most important thing to do to prevent vision loss is to get regular eye checkups from your optometrist in Calgary. First, however, you need to know the signs and symptoms.
What is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a group of eye diseases that damage the optic nerve, which carries information from your eyes to your brain. It creates pressure in the eye which worsens over time. If it’s left untreated, the condition can lead to nerve damage and, eventually, blindness. It’s often hereditary and may not show up until later in life, particularly after the age of 40. There’s no way to prevent glaucoma itself, but it’s possible to prevent blindness caused by the disease if it’s caught early. That’s why seeing an eye doctor regularly is crucial.
Signs and Symptoms
Many warning signs of glaucoma are initially subtle, and people often don’t even realize they have it. If you suspect you’re suffering from any the following symptoms, be sure to make an appointment with your Calgary optometry clinic right away. Symptoms include:
• Sudden-onset blurry vision, which is caused by fluid accumulating in front of the eye.
• Halos or auras around lights, especially at night. These are sometimes rainbow-coloured or take the form of a bright spot.
• Loss of peripheral vision, which may manifest as your sightline becoming blurry or dark, creating a tunnel vision effect. This is sometimes the only early indicator of glaucoma, so be sure to get an eye exam if you experience this.
• Headache and eye pain that occur one at a time or simultaneously. Sometimes this is combined with nausea. If you have sudden pain in your eyes and head, seek medical attention as soon as you can.
• Your eyes may look different. It could be a change in the colour of the iris, redness, swelling and itching accompanied by watering.
Get a Check Up from a Calgary Optometrist
One of the worst things about glaucoma is that many people don’t realize they have symptoms at all until it’s too late. That’s why regular eye exams from your eye doctor in Calgary are so important. Contact us at Crowfoot Vision Centre if you suspect you have any of these symptoms.