01/02/2018 0 Comments
Does my child need glasses? Insight from your optometrist in Calgary NW
You want the very best for your child. You want them to explore, excel at learning, and be happy. One way to ensure that they do all these things is to have their vision checked at your Calgary optometry centre.
Unlike adults, children are not aware that their vision may be failing them. They may not tell you that things are blurry, but instead, it will show in their grades at school or even how they perform in extracurricular activities. If you are worried that your child may have a vision problem, make an appointment at Crowfoot Vision for an eye exam. Our team can help determine what might be the cause of your child’s vision problems, and help correct it.
Warning Signs Your Child May Need Eyewear
Undetected vision problems affect your child in school and out. Therefore, it is vital that you understand what signs indicate your child has a vision problem and have it corrected as quickly as possible.
Here are just a few signs your child may need glasses:
- Frequent Squinting: Watch your child and see if she is squinting while reading a book or looking far away. If so, she could have a refractive error, which makes it hard for the eyes to focus. Squinting helps temporarily focus light in the right way so that your child can see.
- Tilting Their Head: When your child is reading or looking at something, they may tilt their head to adjust the angle and increase light. This might mean your child has amblyopia, which is a lazy eye condition and quite common in children.
- Sitting Too Close to Objects: When your child watches their favourite TV show, plays on a device, or is reading a book, does he hold it close to the eyes or lower his head to see? If so, he may have nearsightedness, which can be easily corrected with proper eyewear.
- Rubbing Eyes: Rubbing eyes frequently means your child is suffering from fatigue or strain. It could also be an allergic condition or sign of a pink eye, but you need your child’s eyes examined to determine the exact cause.
- Headaches or Eye Pain: Does your child complain about headaches or have eye pain? If so, she may be straining her eyes to see.
- Difficulty Concentrating: Your child’s teacher might warn you that your child has difficulty concentrating in class. While a variety of reasons could cause this, if that concentration issue pairs with the symptoms mentioned above, it could mean that she has difficulty seeing.
Vision screenings are typically done at your child’s health checkup with their primary care doctor, but if you notice any of the warning signs, bring your child to an optometrist in Calgary NW at Crowfoot Vision. Our team will help identify the vision issue and we can fit your child for prescription eyewear.
To schedule an appointment at a Calgary eye centre near you, contact Crowfoot Vision. We are proud to serve residents of Calgary NW, Arbour Lake, Calgary, and the surrounding areas. Call us at 403-241-3000 for more information. You are also welcome to visit us or fill out our secure online contact form today.