03/05/2018 0 Comments
A few ways to protect your eyesight
The next time you’re in Calgary for a visit to the optometrist’s for an eye exam, we hope you choose Crowfoot Vision Centre. Our team tries our best to give our patients the best in optometry services.
Here, for example, are just a few ways that you can protect your eyesight on a regular basis:
• UV protection and other safety eyewear. Damage to your eyes is often painful and irreversible. The best way to protect them is to have the right equipment. If your job requires safety glasses, be sure to wear them at all times. When you’re not at work, you can use sunglasses to keep your eyes safe from harmful UV rays.
• Quit smoking. Not only is this a good idea generally, but smoking has also proven correlations with certain eye ailments, such as glaucoma.
• Eat healthy and exercise. Weight-related ailments such as diabetes can affect your eyesight. Exercising regularly will help maintain not just your muscles but your eyes as well. Similarly, certain foods are essential for clear sight, such as fish with omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidant rich carrots.
• Educate yourself about early warning signs. Your Calgary optometrists can help you learn more about symptoms of early problems with your vision. The more you know, the better you’ll be able to protect yourself.
• Know your family history. During your next eye exam at your local Calgary eye centre, you’ll probably be asked about your family’s medical history. This is essential information for your optometrists to know. It will help your optometrist detect the early stages of inherited eyesight problems.
• Take a break from the screen. It’s a fact of life that a lot of us now spend more time than ever looking at screens. Whether it’s for work or for fun, spending more than an hour or so staring at the same object can cause strain on your eyes. Over time, that can lead to problems. Remember to take a break at least once an hour from staring at your screen.
• Regular exams. This most important thing you can do to help you eyesight is to get an eye exam annually. A professional will be able to make sure everything is going well with your eyes, and, if it isn’t, he or she will be able to let you know the best way to correct or protect your eyes.
At Crowfoot Vision Centre in Calgary, our optometrists are committed to helping our patients take control of their visual health. Contact us today at our Calgary eye centre to make an appointment.