12/09/2019 0 Comments
Keeping Your Eyes Young
It’s inevitable: as we age, our eyes age too. For many people, this means corrective lenses are eventually a necessity. But like all things health related, there are ways to slow down the affects of ocular aging. To help guide you through this process you’ll want to find the best of eye doctors in Calgary.
What is Ocular Aging?
Ocular aging refers to the changes in vision that usually start to occur slowly after the age of 40. Here are some things you might notice:
• Colours seem less vibrant. As we age, the cells that control how you see colour lose sensitivity, which results in hues appearing duller and less distinguishable from each other.
• You have trouble adjusting to light changes. Going from dark to light (or outdoors to indoors) requires your eyes to adjust to the change. As you age, this takes longer to happen.
• You need lights on more often. Things appear darker than they once did, and you may find yourself needing brighter lights while reading or doing tasks that use your eyes.
• You suspect an ocular disease. Cataracts, glaucoma and macular degeneration are frequent problems in eyes as you age. Be sure find a good optometrist in Calgary to help detect and prevent these issues.
How to Slow Down Ocular Aging
There are a few things you can do to mitigate the effects of aging on your eyes:
• Eat a balanced diet. Be sure to include lots of vegetables rich in beta-carotene like carrots, sweet potatoes and leafy greens.
• Wear sunglasses. Harmful UV rays damage your eyes over the years. Protect them on sunny days with sunglasses that block UV rays.
• Reduce screen time. Spending a lot of time in front of a computer or staring at a phone can strain and dry your eyes. Eventually, it’ll make it harder to focus on things that a re far away. Be sure to take breaks from the screen and let your eyes rest.
• Get regular eye exams. A visit to your optometrist for an exam can allow them to identify any developing issues with your vision and help you figure out ways to help.
Visit an Optometrist for an Eye Exam
To keep your eyes in top shape, be sure to get an eye exam at Crowfoot Vision Centre in Calgary. Contact us for any concerns about your vision or to make an appointment for an exam.