THE CLEAR ROAD TO VISION
Are you dealing with nearsightedness, farsightedness, or some other less-than-perfect vision issue? You may think that the only way to fix your vision problem is by wearing either prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses. However, some eye health problems require a different approach, such as vision correction.
Vision correction is an umbrella term for optometric techniques, usually involving procedures like surgery or therapy, that are used to repair general vision problems like myopia (nearsightedness) or hyperopia (farsightedness). At Crowfoot Vision Centre, our optometrist in Calgary can perform thorough eye exams to help you determine whether a vision correction procedure is the right choice for your eye health.
What Vision Correction Is Available from Your Optometrist in Calgary NW
There are various kinds of vision correction techniques available. Some of the more well-known options include:
Corneal Reshaping (Orthokeratology)
Corneal reshaping is a procedure that involves gently reshaping the cornea of the eye with special contact lenses. The patient places these special lenses over their eyes overnight to correct issues like nearsightedness or mild astigmatism. Once successful in reshaping the cornea, a patient will experience clear vision during the day without the need for prescription eyeglasses. The results are temporary, however. In order to maintain optimum vision, you will have to wear the lenses regularly at night.
Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis or LASIK uses a laser beam to reshape the cornea. This is a surgical procedure that can help correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. The procedure has been used by millions of people who have had successful results, but LASIK isn’t for everyone. It is important to talk to your optometrist in Calgary NW to see whether or not the surgery is right for you.
Low Vision Therapy
Low vision refers to a state of partial vision loss, often caused by glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, optic nerve atrophy, or macular degeneration, that can’t be corrected with regular eyeglasses, contacts, medication, or surgery. To address low vision, your optometrist in Calgary NW may suggest low vision therapy which includes an evaluation of your visual abilities as well as a prescription for low vision devices and training. Essentially, your optometrist helps you maximize your vision use for reading, writing, hobbies, and work-related needs.
What to Know Before Corrective Eye Surgery
LASIK has become a popular option to correct vision. However, it’s important to fully understand what LASIK does and how it affects your eye health before choosing to go through with the procedure. Talking with your eye doctor in Calgary is one way to know if LASIK is right for you. Before you try corrective eye surgery be sure to:
- Understand your eye health – Be sure this is a procedure you really want done. You will have to live with the results; it’s not an option to take lightly.
- Find a recommended surgeon – Talk to your optometrist about potential eye surgeons. Do your research and make sure the ophthalmologist you pick is experienced and board-certified.
- Know your eligibility – Like any other surgical procedure, LASIK may not be for everyone. If you have severely dry eyes or specific corneal diseases, for example, you should not have the surgery done.
- Ask about the chances of refinement – You may need repeat procedures if you are heavily nearsighted. Ask your eye doctor how often you will likely have to refine or repair your eyes with LASIK for optimal results.
- Be aware of the risks – LASIK surgery is still surgery and therefore comes with its own set of risks. Be sure to weigh the pros and cons before making a final decision.
Book an Eye Exam at Crowfoot Vision Centre
If you would like to learn more about LASIK, low vision therapy, or corneal reshaping, contact Crowfoot Vision Centre. We can help assess your vision, answer your questions, and get you on the path to clearer vision.