What Can Your Optometrist Do for You?
Your optometrist plays an important role in taking care of your general health. Here’s why you should visit your local Calgary optometry centre at least once a year.
An annual eye exam does far more than check how far you can see, although that’s a part of it too. Here’s what optometrists will test during an exam:
- Visual acuity: This test is the part that you’re probably most familiar with. It involves reading charts with letters that get progressively smaller with and without different lenses to determine how far or close you can see.
- Retina: A retinoscopy, or a test of the retina, is performed to confirm the findings of the visual acuity test. The doctor shines a light in your eyes while you look at an object and uses a device to see how your eyes reflect light.
- Ocular health: Your optometrist will visually assess your eyes, pupils and eyelids to make sure they look healthy. If there’s a concern, they’ll perform diagnostic testing too, such as retinal imaging to make sure there are no indicators of disease.
Eye Disease Management
If, during your eye exam, your optometrist finds any indication of the following eye diseases or disorders, they’ll work with you to find the right treatment to manage or resolve the issue:
- Macular degeneration
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Retinitis pigmentosa
If an optometrist from Crowfoot Vision Centre determines that your prescription has changed or that you require a pair of corrective lenses, our team will help you decide whether glasses or contact lenses are right for you.
If eyewear is the right choice, we’ll assist you in choosing the perfect frames to suit your face and your lifestyle.
When you have any issue with your eyes, your first step should be to consult your optometrist. Here are some of the things we can do for you:
- Provide dry eye therapy: If regular eye drops aren’t working for you, your optometrist can prescribe you effective dry eye treatments.
- Treat infections: Optometrists can treat all sorts of eye infections, including conjunctivitis and keratitis.
- Remove foreign bodies: There’s nothing like the discomfort of something stuck in your eye. If this happens to you and you can’t get it out, your eye doctor can help.
Crowfoot Vision Centre: Optometrist in Calgary
If it’s time for your annual visit to the optometrist’s clinic or you have an eye emergency, turn to Crowfoot Vision Centre. Call us today to make an appointment.